Most of us have been there, one drink turns into a couple, a couple turn into several, several turn into spitting up on the side of the street in a taxi cab.
And even a couple drinks are enough for some people to experience interrupted sleep, and feel out of sorts the next day.
But before I get into the cures for hangovers, how does alcohol cause a hangover anyway?
You see, when the alcohol in your liver is broken down, it converts to acetaldehyde before it converts to acetate (products of alcohol metabolism), and it is the acetaldehyde that gives you a hangover, suppresses your immune system, fries your liver, and wrinkles your skin. Another round of shots, anyone?
Below are my top tips on how to help yourself enter the New Year more, um, gracefully:
• Ensure you have eaten a healthy, balanced meal an hour ahead (containing carbs, fats, and protein).
• Take a B-Complex throughout the day.
• Add-on for better results: Take NAC (at least 200 milligrams) 30 minutes before you drink to help lessen the alcohol's toxic effects (take a B-complex, or specifically B1 with NAC to increase efficacy).
• Drink a glass of water immediately after each serving of an alcoholic beverage throughout the night.
• Add-on for better results: Take one capsule of Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids before each drink. You may or may not be questioned amongst the social setting.
• Another B-complex supplement and NAC.
• Hydrate with a lot of water. Like, A LOT.
• When you get back home after drinking, immediately eat a nutrient dense meal. Even though that late night Chinese restaurant appears to be a good idea at the time, all that greasy food will only make you feel worse in the morning. Here's an example: organic olive oil drizzled over spinach (for antioxidants), a source of protein (preferably fish for inflammation-fighting omega3s), and a carb like sprouted whole grain toast (offers vitamin C and Bs) or a medium baked potato (for potassium).
• Drink a glass of coconut water with 1/4-1/2 tsp of quality sea salt to replace electrolytes.
• Add-on for better results: 4 capsules of Activated Charcoal
The next morning:
• Another B-complex supplement
• If you feel nauseous drink ginger tea
• Mop up left-over toxins by eating eggs. They contain large amounts of cysteine, the substance that reduces acetaldehyde toxicity. Pair that with miso soup or bone broth for the ultimate replenishment.
• Plant based hangover breakfasts:
- Oatmeal with coconut oil, sliced banana, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Hangover Smoothie: 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 2 cups of loosely packed leafy greens, 1 cup plain coconut yogurt (or organic dairy), 1 cup coconut water, a pinch of sea salt, and 2-3 ice cubes.
• And you probably guessed it… water with fresh lemon juice throughout the day to help with detoxification.
Hope these tips help! And please share below what has worked for you! Sending you all my best wishes to you and your loved ones for a safe and happy New Year!
PS: Looking to shed the Holiday pounds? Stay tuned for January 11 where I'll be launching an exciting new Cleanse Program for all of you amazing members to join in on! More details to come next week ;) Let's kick off the New Year lighter, healthier, and happier!
Looking for one-on-one coaching? Book a nutritional consultation with In-House Holistic Nutritionist, Maya Eid to get started!